Friday, June 13, 2008

Thanksgiving—giving thanks


I give thanks to the pilgrims for inventing thanksgiving.

At first they just called it, “Big Thursday”* But then a light bulb went off above one of the pilgrim’s buckle hats and they renamed it. I love Thanksgiving because it’s a holiday that says what it is and is what it says. Even though it says it backwards. It should be called Givingthanks Day. It’s a day of gratitude and what says gratitude more than eating ourselves into a vacant stare and going belly up in a lazyboy? It’s important to say thank you. When someone passes you the mashed potatoes don’t just say “thanks”. Thanks is nothing like thank you. Thanks is saying I don’t have the time to thank you even though it took you all day to make the turkey. You know what’s even better? Saying thank you while you’re giving a big hug.

The day after Thanksgiving, or "Black Friday" as some call it, is a crazy day for shoppers. It's a day for shopaholics to spend time with other shopaholics in their family searching out great deals and generally having lots of fun spending money. Some great tips there. Also if you want to see what's available on Black Friday, I thought this site was pretty handy: Black Friday Ads They have a list of all the sale items from the major retailers, and they let you create a shopping list. It's simple and convenient.

Well, above all, it seems I pretty enjoy my thanksgiving holiday!? We all know that dreams are opposite of reality. In fact, I've gained a lot of homework should be done in these five days, otherwise I will be shot in the final survey. My friend is even busier than me, who said that she swore to mother earth that she will glue to her computer for 5 whole days, and that is the only way she can survive this semester. Damn it! I love holiday but hate being bound to those darn assignments.

Let's go see a movie...after the survey. damn it!!

* Thanksgiving is celebrated on the fourth Thursday of November in the United States.
** The picture is from the New York Times. I wish I could be there to take some pics though.

No comments:

Post a Comment